Saturday, January 23, 2010

I woke this morning sick as a dog.  Yesterday, I woke with a scratchy throat and some coughing and I thought, okay, here it goes again.  I was right. heh.  So  I pulled out the Vita-Mix, dropped in ruby red grapefruit, pineapple, grapes, ice and water for a delicious fruit slush which made my sore laryngitisy throat, with deep coughing, somewhat better, at least now I am able to croak intelligibly and get myself to work this afternoon.  While sipping my slush, I threw together--literally--a quick bread, gluten free of course, and sat down to watch some Saturday morning PBS and HGTV as I love the gardening shows like PAllanSmith,Victory Garden, and Curb Appeal ( I had overslept so missed the knitting and quilting shows).  I love European style artisan breads.

My early exposure to such delights came from my father's posting to a European military base while I was an infant.  Until we returned to the USA when I was in first grade, all I  ever had to eat were the most wonderful, amazing fresh breads to be found on the face of the Earth!  In fact, when we returned to the USA, I could not eat the squishy tasteless white spongy stuff the locals called bread--unless it was darkly toasted, and even then I disliked it.  Of course, since it was the early 1960s, Dad was transferred to the deep south where I discovered corn bread and biscuits.  Yum.

After 30 minutes, the bread was done and it was wonderful!  Like old fashioned flaky biscuits.  My life long habit of cooking on the fly learned from my Mother and Mom-in-law kicked in and I just pulled out all my GF stuff and threw it together.  I don't usually use measuring cups and spoons, but I am attempting to begin a more concise, logical cooking habit. Unfortunately, I did not write the recipe down as I worked, mind was too miserable to be thinking ahead (silly pun I know).  However, it went something like this:

Some brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, amaranth flour, almond flour, hazelnut flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthum gum, kosher salt, baking powder,  whey powder, 2 eggs, blob of yogurt, and water.  I will attempt to replicate this tomorrow and measure as I go, promise.

As for now, time for more liquid Vitamin C, then work. 

My Gut Reaction?  Bread is good, tummy troubles are not.  Organization is good--it helps you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment