Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not!

There is still hard crunchy snow outside, everywhere.  It was supposed to be 45 degrees today, but it is only 25 and overcast again.  Therefore, I must bake as using the oven warms me and my house up.  Besides, I have no bread to eat sandwiches on.

I  really would like to figure out how to make gluten free breads that my family will enjoy and help eat.  Generally, they won't touch the stuff and I cannot eat it all before it starts to go bad.  I've made croutons, and bread crumbs from some, but since I rarely fry anything, the crumbs aren't often necessary.  I'd like to hear from you, friends, how do you solve this problem?  I just hate to be wasteful, and I've found that birds on my deck don't like the gluten free bread as much as wheat.
My Gut Reaction?  I need to plan better and utilize my dehydrator and freezer more efficiently!

My Lazy Day Lazy Way Stuffed Cabbage
On another note, stuffed cabbage on the stove  smells very good!  Hot baked bread will go very nicely with it tonight and I believe I will try some slaw with it, and perhaps a flan or fruit smoothie for dessert. This recipe evolved from a love for rice stuffed meatballs, stuffed cabbage, healthier eathing, inexpensive (read frugality as in waste not want not) and convenient foods.  

I browned a pound of lean ground bison in my cast iron dutch oven with one onion chopped in the vita-mix and one cup of jasmine rice; I layered one half a cabbage sliced into narrow wedges over the meat and rice layer.  Then I poured a pint of leftover tomato soup on top ( made from 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 small can tomato paste, soy milk and seasonings ).  I turned the cast iron dutch oven down from medium low to low to simulate a slow cooker's low slow simmer, covered it and left. (this can also go into a real slow cooker) Oh  my gosh it smells good!  I do all my grocery shopping at my local Wal-Mart as it is close, quick, convenient, and good for the budget.  However, I do go three or four times a year to my natural foods co-operative in Fayetteville-ozarknaturalfoods.com, a short drive down I-540 when I am visiting my son at the University of Arkansas, my alma mater.  There I buy gluten free foods that I cannot purchase at Wal-Mart's limited gluten free section.

I managed to gain only 2.5 pounds during the holidays, so now that it is back to normal business, I am happy to eat healthier with far fewer empty carbs from holiday sweets.  Walking begins this afternoon!  YEA!
My Gut Reaction?  Yahoooo!  Look out scales, mirror, and wardrobe, things are changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment